Saturday, September 05, 2009

Lanthanum Aluminate

I've recently discovered the FSU microscopy pages and I must say I'm quite impressed.  Makes me think about "teaching" verses "research" universities.  I quite like research but then teaching has it's joy.  Anyway as a sampling of what I've seen so far on their page here is interesting page about Dr. Goodenough like materials...how about that .. so for all your questions about perovskites, supercondutor and dipole moments  Check this out.
from the page
Aluminum, oxygen, and lanthanum comprise lanthanum aluminate. Lanthanum is a rare earth metal that is silvery white in appearance and very ductile. The metal is so soft that the blade of a knife can cut in two with relative ease. Lanthanum was discovered in the late 1830s by C. G. Mosander, but was unable to be successfully isolated until the following century in the 1920s. The name of the element was coined from the Greek lanthanein, which means “to be concealed.” The moniker reflects the substantial difficulty involved in isolating the element in a considerably pure form.

No comments: